30 Days of Christmas Coffees – Day 13
Iced Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew – A Festive Jolt For Your Holiday Spirit
Welcome back, coffee enthusiasts! It’s day 13 of SpillinTheBeans.com’s 30 Days of Christmas Coffee Recipes.
Today, we’re bringing you a delightful and refreshing twist to your coffee routine with the Iced Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew. This icy concoction is sure to add a festive touch to your holiday season, blending the boldness of cold brew coffee with the classic flavors of chocolate and peppermint.
If you’re using store-bought cold brew, you’re 10 minutes from icy caffeinated goodness. However, if you plan to make your own cold brew, make it the day before. Or, better yet, make a big batch so you always have it on hand.
Customize Your Christmas Cold Brew
This iced peppermint mocha cold brew is a refreshing and festive way to enjoy coffee during the holiday season. Feel free to adjust the ingredient quantities to suit your taste preferences. But we recommend shaking it up a bit with a homemade peppermint cream liqueur instead of peppermint extract for an adults-only treat!
Gather up your ingredients
– 1 cup cold brew coffee (homemade or store-bought)
– 1/2 cup milk or a dairy-free alternative (almond, soy, coconut, etc.)
– 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
– 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (or 2 Tbsp homemade peppermint cream liqueur)
– 1-2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice (sugar, honey, maple syrup)
– Ice cubes
– Whipped cream (optional)
– Crushed candy canes for garnish (optional)
A Cool Yule Brew
The Iced Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew is a perfect marriage of rich, chocolatey goodness and the invigorating coolness of cold brew coffee. Begin with a base of your favorite, store-bought or homemade cold brew concentrate. Then, enhance it with a luscious mix of chocolate syrup and a hint of peppermint extract, giving you that unmistakable seasonal flavor profile.
That addition of milk or a dairy-free alternative provides a creamy texture, while the ice cubes keep it crisp and refreshing. From there, just finish it off with optional whipped cream and crushed candy canes for that extra festive flair.
Why is Cold Brew a Better Alternative to Iced Coffee?
Cold brew coffee is often considered a better alternative to traditional iced coffee for several reasons:
1. Smooth Flavor Profile: Cold brew is known for its smooth, mellow, and less acidic taste compared to regular iced coffee. The slow steeping process extracts the coffee flavors without the bitterness that can be present in hot-brewed coffee that is then chilled.
2. Lower Acidity: The cold brewing process results in a coffee concentrate that tends to be less acidic than hot-brewed coffee. This can be gentler on the stomach and more palatable for those who are sensitive to acidity.
3. Customizable Strength: Cold brew allows for easy customization of the coffee strength. You can dilute the concentrated cold brew with water, milk, or a milk alternative to achieve your preferred coffee-to-water ratio, tailoring it to your taste preferences.
4. Extended Shelf Life: You can store cold brew in the refrigerator for an extended period without losing its freshness or flavor. This makes it convenient for preparation in advance and for those who enjoy a grab-and-go lifestyle.
5. Reduced Dilution: Traditional iced coffee is often brewed hot and then cooled down with ice, leading to dilution as the ice melts. Cold brew, being pre-chilled during its long steeping process, minimizes dilution, allowing for a more robust coffee flavor.
6. Less Bitterness: The cold brewing process extracts coffee compounds differently than hot brewing, resulting in a beverage that tends to be less bitter. This can make cold brew a more enjoyable option for those who find bitterness off-putting.
Both cold brew and iced coffee have their merits. However, the unique qualities of cold brew, such as its smoothness, lower acidity, and versatility, contribute to its popularity as a preferred choice for many coffee enthusiasts.
Iced Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew
- 1 cup cold brew homemade* or store bought
- 1/2 cup milk – whole or dairy-free alternative
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract or 2 TBSP homemade peppermint cream liqueur
- 1 Tbsp sugar syrup or sugar or honey
- ice cubes
- whipped cream
- crushed candy canes for optional garnish
- Prepare your cold brew the day before (link below to instructions) OR you can use store-bought cold brew that's ready to use
- In a small bowl or shot glass, combine the chocolate syrup and peppermint extract or liqueur
- Fill a tall glass with ice cubes
- Pour the cold brew over the ice
- Ass the chocolate-peppermint mixture, milk, and your preferred sweetener, and mix well to combine
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle candy canes on top (optional)
The Magic of Christmas Coffees
Whether you’re hosting a holiday brunch or looking for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, the Iced Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew is a versatile and delightful addition to your Christmas coffee repertoire. It’s a delightful treat to share with loved ones or to savor in a quiet moment of holiday reflection.
Stay tuned for more delightful Christmas coffee recipes in our 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series at spillinthebeans.com. And, until tomorrow, sip, savor, and enjoy the magic of the season! 🎄☕🌟
Oh, and don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest!