30 Days of Christmas Coffees – Day 10
Holiday Espresso Martini with Homemade Peppermint Liqueur
We’ve got a really good one for you on Day 10 of spillinthebeans.com’s 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series! Today, we’re diving into the world of spirited holiday beverages with a delightful concoction that combines the rich flavor of espresso with the festive touch of peppermint. Say hello to the Holiday Espresso Martini – a drink that’s sure to elevate your holiday celebrations.
This rich, decadent martini is taken to a whole new level courtesy of homemade peppermint cream liqueur (recipe below). And, you get a twofer, as the liqueur is a fantastic drink on its own – maybe a little after-dinner treat.
Two Recipes and Christmas Coffee Twists
The Holiday Espresso Martini is a harmonious blend of bold coffee, cool peppermint, and the warmth of vodka. This cocktail is not just a drink; it’s an experience, bringing together the comforting essence of a classic espresso martini with the festive twist of homemade peppermint cream liqueur.
Read through our entire blog post, as we’ve got two recipes and some delicious variations on the Holiday Espresso Martini, too!
Gather up your ingredients
– 1 1/2 oz vodka
– 1 oz homemade peppermint cream liqueur (recipe below)
– 1/2 oz coffee liqueur
– 1 oz freshly brewed espresso, cooled
– Ice cubes
– Crushed candy canes for rimming (optional)
– Fresh mint leaves for garnish
African Espresso – Free Shipping
The spillinthebeans.com coffee shop is open 24/7, and we’ve got all kinds of fun variations, flavored coffees, and gifts. For the Holiday Espresso Martini, you’ll need some espresso. So be sure to check out our African Espresso. It’s perfect for this drink, and shipping is free. Woo hoo!
Holiday Espresso Martini with Homemade Peppermint Cream Liqueur
- martini shaker
- 3 oz vodka
- 3 oz homemade peppermint cream liqueur if you don't have time to make, use peppermint schnapps (cream the menthe will result in a weird, unappealing color)
- 1 oz coffee liqueur (like Kahlua)
- 2 oz freshly brewed espresso (cooled)
- ice cubes
- crushed candy canes for rimming the glass
- fresh mint leaves, chocolate, or other garnishes – optional
- Prepare your espresso – brew 2 shots and let it cool to room temperature – you do NOT need an espresso machine (see notes)
- Moisten the rim of a martini glass and then dip it in crushed candy canes for a festive presentation
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice
- Pour all other ingredients (except garnishes) into the shaker and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds
- Strain into the glass, and garnish away!
- African Espresso is available on spillinthebeans.com with free shipping.
- If you don’t have an espresso maker, there are plenty of alternatives like a moka pot, aeropress, phin, etc. More info on our espresso-making blog post.
- The homemade peppermint liqueur recipe is posted on the Holiday Espresso Martini blog post on spillinthebeans.com and is just as good as a standalone drink.
Homemade Peppermint Cream Liqueur
Peppermint Cream Liqueur
- 1 Blender
- 1 Large bottle with a tight cap or a few smaller bottles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz.
- 1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp chocolate syrup optional, but adds richness
- Chill all ingredients before starting
- Combine cream and sweetened condensed milk in a blender and blend on low
- Add whiskey, extracts, and chocolate syrup
- Blend on medium until combined, smooth, and creamy
- Taste and adjust peppermint or sweetness as necessary (if you desire a sweeter liqueur, you can add more chocolate syrup or sugar syrup
- Pour into a bottle or bottles (leave a bit of space at the top for expansion)
- Chill for at least two hours
- This liqueur can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Be sure to shake vigorously before using.
Variations on the Holiday Espresso Martini
Light Chocolate Indulgence
For a decadent twist on the Holiday Espresso Martini, consider adding a touch of chocolate to elevate the flavor profile. Include a drizzle of chocolate syrup into the cocktail shaker before mixing the ingredients. This addition introduces a luscious chocolate undertone that complements the robust coffee and minty freshness. Garnish with chocolate shavings or a cocoa rim for an extra layer of chocolatey goodness.
Take the Holiday Espresso Martini to the next level by infusing it with the classic combination of coffee and chocolate. Along with the standard ingredients, incorporate a chocolate-flavored liqueur into the mix. This subtle infusion of chocolate adds a mocha dimension to the cocktail, creating a harmonious trio of flavors. Don’t forget to garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder for that extra visual appeal.
Warm Peppermint Coffee Delight
Transform the cold Martini into a comforting warm beverage for those chilly winter nights. Skip the ice cubes and serve it as a hot drink instead. Heat the espresso and homemade peppermint cream liqueur before combining them with vodka and coffee liqueur. The result is a cozy and soothing warm peppermint coffee delight, perfect for sipping by the fireplace.
Infuse a touch of elegance into your Holiday Espresso Martini by incorporating the sweet and aromatic notes of vanilla. Add a splash of vanilla-flavored vodka to the mix, enhancing the overall flavor profile with a hint of warmth. The combination of vanilla, peppermint, and coffee creates a sophisticated and well-balanced cocktail. Garnish with a vanilla bean for an extra touch of luxury.
30 Days of Christmas Coffee Continues
This Holiday Espresso Martini with a Homemade Peppermint Cream Liqueur could be enough to carry you through the next few months. But why stop there? Let your inner barista shine and check back every day in November for a new Christmas Coffee recipe.
Oh, and don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest!
Cheers to day 10 of our 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series, and to a caffeinated and joyful holiday season! 🎄☕🌟