30 Days of Christmas Coffees – Day 15
Sip Into the Season With Our Festive Christmas Latte Macchiato
Welcome to Day 15 of SpillinTheBeans.com’s 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series! Today, we’re excited to bring you a beautiful triple-layered coffee drink – our Festive Christmas Latte Macchiato. It’s our latest holiday drink inspiration featuring homemade white chocolate syrup that you can use to create other caffeinated masterpieces, too!
Get ready to experience the warmth of espresso, the sweetness of white chocolate, and the cool breeze of peppermint in every sip.
Macchiato or Latte Macchiato?
A traditional Macchiato is a simple espresso drink that’s prepared with just a small dollop of milk foam on top of an espresso shot. But a Latte Macchiato is a larger beverage and is essentially a latte prepared in reverse.
So, instead of topping espresso with steamed milk, the milk goes in first. Then the espresso follows, and the traditional Macchiato foam topper is the cherry on the sundae. However, just stick to a tiny bit of foam if you want to stay true to its origin.
Homemade White Chocolate Syrup
– 1 cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Spillin’ the Beans Espresso Making Alternatives
Festive Christmas Latte Macchiato with Homemade White Chocolate Syrup
- Moka pot, espresso machine, Nespresso, or other way to pull a shot of espresso
- 1 shot freshly brewed espresso
- 1/2 cup steamed milk (whole milk works best)
- 1 Tbsp homemade white chocolate syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
White Chocolate Syrup
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- tsp vanilla extract
Begin with the homemade white chocolate syrup
- Put the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in short intervals until melted
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and white and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then whisk in the melted white chocolate
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, whisking occasionally until the syrup is thickened to the desired consistency (it will thicken more as it cools)
- Take the pan off the heat, add the vanilla, and stir well
- Let the syrup cool to room temperature then transfer to an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
Create your Festive Christmas Latte Macchiato
- Heat the milk until steamed (not boiled) and froth using a frother, handheld frother, or whisk
- Pour the milk into a tall glass or festive mug, using a spoon to hold the froth back (reserve for later)
- Add a tablespoon (or more!) of your homemade white chocolate syrup to the steamed milk and 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract, and stir well
- Prepare a shot of espresso using your preferred method.
- Slowly add the shot of espresso to the steamed milk in the mug
- Top the espresso with the reserved milk froth, creating a beautiful three-layered beverage
Sip, Savor, and Stay Tuned
We think you’ll agree that the Festive Christmas Latte Macchiato is one that should be in your holiday rotation. The white chocolate and just a hint of peppermint take the espresso-based drink to the next level. And, the recipe for white chocolate syrup leaves you with enough to create even more fun twists – or pour it some ice cream!
So, cheers to day 15 of our 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series, and to a caffeinated, peaceful, and happy holiday season! 🎄☕🌟
Oh, and don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest!