30 Days of Christmas Coffees – Day 19
Crafting the Ultimate Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee – No Carton Required
We’re more than halfway through the 30 Days of Christmas Coffees series, and we won’t go any further without a tribute to eggnog. After all, what better way to celebrate than with a cup of Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee?
Day 19’s featured recipe brings you a delightful blend of rich eggnog and robust coffee, creating a beverage sure to warm your spirits and fill your heart with holiday cheer. And we don’t want you to head out and buy a carton to use as a creamer. Let’s do it up right with homemade eggnog and some festive garnishes!
The Magic of Homemade Eggnog
To start, let’s talk about the star of our show – homemade eggnog. Forget the store-bought versions; we’re diving into the joy of crafting this velvety concoction from scratch. With simple ingredients like egg yolks, sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract, and a touch of nutmeg and cinnamon, you’ll create a base that’s both rich and festive.
Whisking the egg yolks with sugar until thickened, then infusing the milk and cream with warm spices before blending them together creates a homemade eggnog that’s unparalleled in flavor. Remember to allow it to cool and chill for a few hours, allowing the flavors to meld and intensify.
Ingredients for Homemade Eggnog
– 4 large egg yolks
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup whole milk
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– A pinch of salt
Elevate Your Experience with Whiskey Barrel Aged Coffee
For an extra layer of sophistication and depth in your Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee, consider using Whiskey Barrel Aged Coffee.
The unique process of aging coffee beans in whiskey barrels imparts a remarkable flavor profile that perfectly complements the rich and spiced nature of homemade eggnog. The infusion of oak and whiskey notes into the coffee beans adds subtle smokiness and complexity, elevating the overall drinking experience.
Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee
For the Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee we recommend our Whiskey Barrel Aged Coffee
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- whipped cream
- cinnamon, nutmeg, or chocolate shavings for garnish
For the Homemade Eggnog
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
Make the Eggnog
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well combined and slightly thickened
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, heavy cream, vanilla, spices, and salt
- Heat until it just begins to simmer, stirring frequently
- Very (very!) slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly – start with just a few drops to start warming the egg yolks – you don't want to turn them into scrambled eggs
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon – be very careful not to let it boil
- Once it's thick, remove from the heat and allow it to cool
- After it's completely cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but, preferably overnight
For the Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee
- Brew 4 cups of strong coffee using your preferred method (we recommend Whiskey Barrel Aged, but any strong coffee will do)
- Pour the coffee into 4 large, festive coffee mugs
- Add a quarter of the sweetened condensed milk into each mug and give it a quick stir
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the homemade eggnog to each mug, based on your preference
- Stir until well-combined
- Top with whipped cream and your choice of toppings – we like dark chocolate for a different flavor profile
- Whiskey Barrel Aged Coffee is optional, but the perfect accompaniment to eggnog for a non-alcoholic version with a kick
So, cozy up by the fire, grab your favorite holiday mug, and savor every sip of this Homemade Eggnog Christmas Coffee. And, keep coming back for more festive coffee creations from SpillintheBeans.com’s 30 Days of Christmas Coffees!
Share the magic by following us on Pinterest and pinning these recipes, and let us know about your holiday coffee twists.
Cheers to the joy of the season, the warmth of good company, and the simple pleasures that make this time of year truly magical. 🎄☕🌟